Friday, December 30, 2016

Interview of Sumit Agarwal - Author of The Four Patriots

Some books always stand out from the crowd, and we have seen that many debut author were able to create such magic with their words. Today we have with us Sumit Agarwal the author of 'The Four Patriots'. His book is currently bestseller in various categories.

 

Can you tell our reader about your educational background?
I am a Chemical Engineer from  IIT-Kanpur 1998 batch and  have completed my secondary education from Seth Anandram Jaipuria School Kanpur
Can we know about your professional background?
I am the Managing Director at MLA Group of Industries, Kanpur with a turnover of about 150 crores and I also run a self funded NGO to educate poor children.
What were you like at school/college apart from studies?
I was a very active participant at school and college and have won many essay writing contests. I used to speak extempore and debates and won several contests. I learnt to play the guitar  and drums in class 12th to impress someone. When I reached IIT, I started singing and performing on stage. I was also the cultural secretary of my hall at IIT.
Can you tell us more about your reading habit? And your favorite book or novel?
I like reading very diversified topics so there’s no specific author I would like to mention but I read all of the Sidney Sheldon series by the time I passed high school. I like Dan Brown amongst contemporary authors.
When did you decide to become a writer?
I had this dream from childhood to see my country march ahead. I felt we had huge potential but somehow we do not work that hard as we should. We want to win back our lost pride but don’t want to take pains. So I had this desire to portray how all of our dreams about the country can become a reality if the youth works towards it. I started writing this book somewhere in 2011 or 12.
When did you start writing?
From my school days I used to write articles for the school magazine. I don’t exactly remember when I wrote my first published story, but I do remember that I won the essay writing contest for the class 5th-8th section, when I was in class 5. By the time I passed high school. I had my own list of elements of good story telling – characterization, plot, twists, interlinks, dramatization and so on.
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I want to write stories as captivating as Dan Brown with the backdrop of India and patriotism as my core theme.  I am not exactly thinking of winning awards, but my dividend lies in being able to write timeless stories which will be remembered for a long time, in winning hearts and earning the love of my readers.
What genre are your books?
I am committed to the patriotic genre which is very close to my heart. I have written this patriotic thriller and shall continue to write stories with a message and with the intention to inspire our country's youth to participate in its development.
Coming to your current book. Can you describe your current book in few lines? What’s it about?
If you have ever fallen victim to the system, been humiliated, felt helpless… this book is for you. Destiny invites the four protagonists to step out of their comfort zones and fight the devil that holds their country captive. Will they choose country over love, comfort and success?Will they enter the Chakravyuh, intricately laid down to ensure their destruction?Will they come out of it alive and win back our lost pride?The book is a roller-coaster ride into the lives of these four young men who are out to change the system which could not be changed in the last 70 years of independence.  A story fraught with romance, faith, friendship  and patriotism.
Give us an insight into your main character(s)
Varun, a NRI software engineer, loves Alisha . An extrovert, bubbly character who runs an NGO on policy research to give feedback to the Indian Government.
Salman, CEO of Coffee Moments, loves Mahi – an angry young man, who reacts somewhat violently to the wrongs around him, he loves the people of his chawl where he was born and nurtured by his foster parents.
Raghav, a virtuous politician, loves Neha. His  uncle and cousin are shrewd politicians for whom power is dearer than relationships. He would go to any extent to protect his education ministry from being corrupted by his uncle and cousin. He had lost his parents in childhood, a very turbulent one, which made him emotionally very strong.
Aditya, an altruist businessman, is married to Prachi. He lost his first love, an Austrian girl during engineering days. Runs three NGOs with the sole intention to contribute to his country’s betterment. Loving parents, wife and two children comprise his family, around whom his world revolves.
Where do the your ideas come from?
It is a blend of real incidents / experiences and imagination.
How much research did you do for this book?
A lot. It is a must for any good book. More so for this book as it focuses on the problems faced by our country and their solutions.
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Since there are four protagonists, retaining the reader’s interest even during their introduction phase was a challenge.
Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book?

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Since I have 4 protagonists the atleast 25-30 other important characters in the book, the list is too long. Apart from the industry leaders like the Khans and the Kapoors, some names which I have in mind are Ranveer Singh, Jimmy Shergil, Randeep Hudda, Nana Patekar etc.
What are you working on at the minute?
Another patriotic thriller, with a new and even more interesting flavor. It’s brewing in my mind. Many more music videos and a series of lectures across colleges and institutes for nation building.
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
Yes, my books most probably will be woven into a series with some common characters, since they will also be related to patriotism.
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
A book is your dream, don't give up on it! There are many who start writing but stop at some point, being pulled into the grind of their work and other responsibilities. So even if there is a six month gap, just go back to those twenty pages you had written, read them over, even if it is to add just one line to it. If you can do that, no one can stop you from completing your book.
Links for your book readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive