Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Lucknow Cookbook - Delicious Lucknowi Food - Book Review

I have decided to try different genres this year. And when I saw "The Lucknow Cookbook", I thought of taking chance. I have already read & reviewed "Superfood for Awesome Memories", and I liked that book. I started liking this genre but I expect more than just recipes. 


Book Blurb
Lucknow’s famous Ganga-Jamuni tehzeeb—a melding together of influences—is seen in its art, architecture, dance and music. But nowhere is this tehzeeb better represented than in its food, redolent with the tastes of Turkey, Persia and Afghanistan, and infused with the flavours of Sindhi, Parsi, Punjabi, Nawabi, Mughlai and British food.

When Sunita Kohli’s parents, Chand and Inder Prakash Sur, first settled in Lucknow after having to leave Lahore following Partition, they brought with them only the memories of home. In The Lucknow Cookbook Sunita Kohli and Chand Sur bring together the taste and smells of home in these 150 well-loved dishes from their kitchens and from the kitchens of family and friends. These delectable kebabs and soups, biryanis, pulaos and raitas, mutton, chicken and fish dishes, paranthas and rotis, vegetables, sweets and puddings, cocktail snacks, chutneys and pickles are a taste of the fabled Lucknowi tradition of hospitality.
A celebration of the tehzeeb of Lucknow as well as its nazaakat (elegance) the book is also a portrait of the city and its storied history.
The Lucknow Cookbook started with author's mother Chand Sur's life before & after her marriage, through different phases of her life. After that author started various recipes types - Kabab, Soups, Veggies, Mutton, Chicken, Fish, Dals & Biryanis. She has also covered various desserts, puddings, drinks & exotic bakery items & chutneys. I know I have mentioned all types but believe me each of these is covering 5-10 recipes individually. The book is the treasure of mouthwatering desi food, specially Lucknow-y style food.

At home, we have already tried biryani, curry & raita. We loved it. I didn't take pictures else I would have shared it here. 

Talking about ratings
  1. Cover 4.5/5
  2. Content - 3.5/5
  3. Overall - 4/5
Book can be found at Amazon & Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive