Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong by Bo Wu

When I saw "Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong" by Bo Wu on Vishnu Chevli's account it instantly caught my attention. I was about to ask him to lend me the copy, and I got a message from him whether I can take the book or not.


Book Blurb
“'Crabs talk?' asked Benji. 

'Everything in nature speaks. Not everything in nature listens,' said Octavius nodding Topside." 
Benji Fisher has spent the first twelve years of his life growing up in a small fishing town, Topside. He’s gotten used to the gang of dolphins who follow him on his surfboard and the voices he hears under the water; odd things that have, in their repetition, become part of normal everyday life. 
However, none of that prepares him for the recruitment speech he gets from an octopus named Octavius and three of the dolphins the night before his thirteenth birthday. 
What would you do if your ‘calling’ in life required you to take a leap/dive of faith? Would you take the plunge? 
First, I would like to talk about the cover and the title of this book. When I first read the title, in my head in the background grand drumrolls were going on and I could fantasy an epic mermaid land. After reading this book I can say I was totally satisfied.

The story is about a guy called Benji who lived his normal life with his father Joe. But slowly he realized that he was not so normal as he could talk to animals and fish and could read other people's mind. One day an octopus and two dolphins came telling him that he was an Aquarian which in this book means all the creatures lives in the ocean including mermaids. He was not just any mermaid but last of Mystiq mermaids who could live both on topside ( which is the Book's term for the human world ) and in the acquari. Later he found out that his actual parents died in the fight with Donquarian where Gouguon killed his parents. The fight was about the pollution in the ocean by topsiders. Their thirst didn't stop at Benji's parents' killing but they wanted Benji as well. What will happen to Benji? Read the book to find out.

The book was written neatly. When I was reading the book I felt like I was in another fantasy world, there are many twists and turns in between which makes it more interesting. It felt like I was watching barbie mermaid which is a really cool thing. I love how in this book various aspects are referred to in the book. My only complaint of this book is that the story was a bit predictable for me. Well, the narration style has made it entertaining. What I liked the most about this book is that it holds a social message to control the pollution underwater and the destruction we create for the creatures living inside the ocean.

It was an epic ride to the fantasy world. If you like reading about mystical creatures, mermaids and even like watching barbies this book would be a perfect choice. Ratings
  1. Cover - 4/5
  2. Content - 4/5
  3. Character -4/5
  4. Concept - 3.5/5
  5. Overall - 4/5
The book can be found at Amazon India and Amazon USA
Reviews from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive