Monday, November 5, 2018

Discussion with Bil Richardson - Author of The Frankenstein Adventures

Two weeks back we have published the review of "The Frankenstein Adventures" by Bil Richardson. Today we have Bil to discuss more about that book with us. Before we proceed towards a book, let's try to know more about Bill and his passion for writing.


Can brief about your personal & professional background?
I have an MBA and a BS in Computer Information Systems. Associate Professor at West Virginia University.  I’m also one of the world’s best known authorities on the Hatfield McCoy Feud.
What were you like at school/college apart from studies?
I was an athlete and a joker. I was popular and on our school awards night I needed a truck to haul the awards away. And in the background Bruce Springsteen is singing, “Boring stories of - Glory Days.”
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors? Which author inspire you the most?
Love reading non-fiction, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Harlan Ellison, James Lee Burke, Michael Connelly, Tom Wolfe and more.  
When did you start writing?
I wrote funny poems and songs when I was eight.  My first short story at 12.
When did you decide to become a writer?
When I was reading Stephen King’s first short story collection Night Shift at 16.
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
To be the all being, master of time space and dimension – and when you write you get to be.
Do you have a special time to write, or how is your day structured to accommodate your writing?
I write anytime I can. 
What have you written so far?
I’ve written films, plays, short stories and non-fiction but The Frankenstein Adventures is my first book.
What genre are your books?
I write horror, humor, crime, thrillers, poetry, graphic novels and more.

Can you describe your current book in few lines? What’s it about?
The Frankenstein Adventures is a retelling of the Frankenstein story for mid-grade readers.  The two main characters Igor and Frank (the creation) are ugly and deformed on the outside but beautiful on the inside.  Thematically it is about the importance of belonging and family, and judging people by what’s on the inside and not the outside.  
Give us an insight into your main characters.
Igor is funny and lovable but clumsy and misshapen.  His heart is in the right place even though parts of his body are not.  Frank is the ugly, misunderstood creation who wants to be treated like a man and not the monster he appears to be.  
Where did you get idea for this book?
I became the father of a stepson who didn’t like to read and I wanted to create a fun book that kids couldn’t put down.  Beyond that I’ve always been interested in the Frankenstein story.  At 12 the first story I ever wrote was a Frankenstein story.  And this is my first book and it’s a Frankenstein story.  So it sort of brings things full circle.  
How much research did you do for this book?
A lifetime.
Who is your favorite character in your book and why?
The story has two main characters – Igor and Frank.  Both are ugly on the outside and beautiful on the inside.  The real villains in the story are the people who attack them.  They are beautiful on the outside and ugly on the inside.  
Who is your least favorite character and why?
That’s nuts.  All these characters are my children and I love them all – even the bad ones.  
What was the most difficult thing about writing your latest book?
The hard part of every book is that last 10% when you’re trying to polish it and clean up all the little things like using the same word too frequently and making sure all the punctuation is right.  
Can you tell us the response you have received from your readers?
It’s a recent release and currently it’s 4.7 stars out of 5 on Goodreads and climbing.  
What are you working on at the minute?
I have a horror novel called The Dark Age that will be out in February and graphic novels entitled Hell’s Gate and 1000 Nightmares later in 2019.  Single issues of 1000 Nightmare are already available on Comixology or my site.  
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
Both The Frankenstein Adventures and The Dark Age can be series books if there is reader demand.  Currently series and reoccurring characters are a much bigger part of the publishing world than in recent memory.  If you’re doing genre work you have to be open to that.  
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Do something else, I don’t need the competition.  Seriously, I’d say make it hurt.  If your writing doesn’t make you feel something then it won’t make the reader feel anything either.  
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included? 
Children are three times less likely to read for pleasure than they were in 1984 and boys are half as likely to read as girls.  The Frankenstein Adventures is designed to spark that love of reading in a child.  It’s also a fun read for adults too so it can be a shared experience between you and a child you love.  That is a rare and beautiful thing.  Try it.  I promise you won’t be disappointed.  
Links for your book readers


If you have missed our review of the book, you can check it here. Link

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive