Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen by Porus Munshi

I am a big fan of Rashmi Bansal's books. I have read 5 of her books and 2 more books I have with me which I have to read. If I talk about my liking in nonfiction genre, business stories or entrepreneurial journies are my favorite. I checked this book in my office and I liked it after reading the first chapter. The author Porus Munshi has taken wonderful success stories to inspire organizations/individuals to perform with radically new ideas/methodologies/systems.


Book Blurb
For long now, India has been seen as a country that is good at working on products and ideas that are already out there. Indian companies took up products that came in from the West and either replicated it or re-engineered it. Indians, when they went to other countries, were part of creative teams that came up with, and implemented great ideas. But, when in their own country, Indians do not have a reputation for coming up with innovative ideas. So, what is it that stops them?
The author laments this situation in his book Making Breakthrough Innovation Happen: How 11 Indians Pulled Off The Impossible. He points out that even the Indian branches of MNCs do not see their Indian operations as centers of innovations. They just work on things that have already been conceived elsewhere.
In this book, Munshi tells the true stories of 11 breakthrough ideas conceived and executed by Indians. These ground-breaking examples show that if someone dares to think out-of-the box and follows their dream, then seemingly impossible things can be achieved.
Making Breakthrough Innovation Happen: How 11 Indians Pulled off the Impossible - as title suggests 11 stories of this book are divided into 4 sections:
  • Orbit shifting challenges
  • Challenging the establishment through a breakthrough insight
  • Enrolling to cause
  • Combating dilution
Each section comprises two to three stories. Each story starts with some brief global example, followed by the problem at the hand, methodology to solve the problem, the reasoning behind methods. It ends with results and future course of actions.

Each case is unique and strong one. I am from Surat so I can relate it more, but I liked most of the cases. A person who would like to enter into a startup or bigger role should read it once. The book doesn't just talk about what had been done but also talks about why it was done and why it worked.

A wonderful 4.5+ read. Talking about ratings:
  1. Cover - 3 / 5 (Frankly speaking it gave me feeling of an academic book)
  2. Content - 5 / 5
  3. Concept - 4 / 5
  4. Overall - 4.5 / 5
Book can be found at - Amazon & Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive