Saturday, December 15, 2018

"Never, ever, give up" says N Matthias Moore - Book Discussion on Cloud 9

Reviewing "Cloud 9" was a new experience for us. The brilliance of the author was visible throughout the story. Today we have N. Matthias Moore, the author of Cloud 9, with us to discuss what the story is and how he has conceptualized the idea. (Review link)


Can you brief us about your educational background?
After high school, I attended a local community college, LA Trade-Tech College, where I met the future English advisor who’d inspire me to write CLOUD 9. You could say that the trade I’m certified in is in English, specifically trade paperback fiction! Now, I’m graduating from UCLA with a degree in American Literature & Culture, and a minor in the History of Science & Medicine. It’s true that actor James Franco graduated from here with the same major, maybe he can be cast as one of the characters in a feature film. 
What were you like at school/college apart from studies?
I consider myself an artist, because of this I’ve been active in a few clubs to help forward my creativity. Most notably, I was a runway model. Being a model is sort of like, acting as the mannequin for fashion designers to help sell their clothes. I love wearing fashionable clothes and for me, being a runway model was something I’ll never forget. Slay! 
Do you read much and if so, who are your favorite authors? Which author inspires you the most?
I’m reading less and writing more. Recently, I’ve been so busy that it’s a plan of mine to catch up on contemporary stuff. A favorite sci-fi writer for me has always been L. Ron Hubbard. He’s a pioneer of the Golden Age and Pulpera fiction. He wrote in a politically divisive time that eventually led to theological speculation later in his career. I find that fascinating. Today, I’m catching up on high-concept writers who’ve been adapted to screen like James S.A. Corey (The Expanse), and Andy Weir (The Martian).
When did you decide to become a writer?
I decided to become a writer after reading theatrical plays in college. Theater has all the classic tropes and story arcs from the masters, and I wanted to craft a story that employed as much emotional drama as Shakespeare, August Wilson, or Tennessee Williams. These are playwrights that add another level to storytelling.
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I plan to continue writing the Cloud series. Beyond that, I feel compelled to expand my repertoire into new mediums. Adapting the novel to film was never in my plans, but in 2018 the visual narrative is all the rage. I also have plans of venturing into other genres; most notably a literary novel. I don’t just write fiction either, I’m an avid science enthusiast and will probably publish a fair share of articles too. There’s much more to come. 
Is this your debut work?
Yes, CLOUD 9 is my debut novel! I hope everyone is as proud of it as I am. 
What genre are your books?
Currently, I’m focusing on Science-Fiction. I’ll let you know when that changes.


Can you describe your current book in few lines? What’s it about?
CLOUD 9 follows its protagonist, Michael Tillman, through a world that’s fixated on fulfilling pleasures and desires using Virtual Reality gaming, enhancements, and sensuous distractions. Michael’s offered the chance of a lifetime when he realizes that he can upload his mind to a computer-brain interface – the Cloud. The Cloud is a game itself, giving players nine levels to reach a computer simulated utopia. This totally changes his outlook. There’s one problem, he only has three lives to win, or he’s dead. Real Games Enterprise (RGE) gives him this opportunity, but he must also contend with his relationships on the outside world that totally messes things up.
Give us an insight into your main character.
Michael is a 29-year-old gamer on the verge of 30. His mid-life crisis has arrived early, but he intends to make things right by uploading his mind to RGE’s cloud servers in a race to reach utopia.

Valerie is Michael’s girlfriend, for now. The relationship is tenuous, but they get by. She’s not the biggest VR gamer, but in this world it’s hard to circumvent peer pressure.
The Manger is RGE’s ringleader, and he’s in charge of the show. He’s offering people tickets to utopia, if they’re willing to pay the price of admission.
Where did you get idea for this book?
Ironically, I had a dream that inspired the idea of the RGE warehouse, where people’s bodies and minds are restricted to pods. You could say I was dreaming within my dream. Hey, some dreams do come true.
How much research did you do for this book?
Plenty! In fact, I needed to remind myself how modern video games were being positioned within the marketplace so that the VR world was accurate. I also had to make sure that the technology, computer advancements, and other miniscule details weren’t too far-fetched. The year is 2109, after all.
Do you have a trailer, or do you intend to create one for your own book?
I made a trailer months before CLOUD 9 was released, but after the novel debuted, I removed the video from YouTube (sorry)! If you’re interested, it used plenty of animation from indie film directors.
What are you working on at the minute?
I’ve completed the prequel to CLOUD 9, and the novel is being edited with special care. The title for that will be SECTOR 10. For die-hard fans, the origin story to the Cloud introduces a war between Reptilians and Greys. I love space operas, and I also love venturing into parallel universes. It’s going to be totally awesome.
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
Writing a book series can be tough, especially when you’re doing other things. But I’m focused on making the Cloud series the best it can be. Moving forward, the story is going to use a lot of science-fiction themes based on quantum mechanics and inter-dimensional consciousness. Think of your favorite astrophysics idea and increase that complexity tenfold. It’s fun, but I don’t think even Albert Einstein would have been a sci-fi fan if he knew we’d break all his laws!   
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Never, ever, give up.
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Don’t forget to eat your vegetables.
Links for your book readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive