Sunday, June 2, 2019

Book Review - Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

"Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind" was a birthday gift from one of my dear friend and the best birthday gift I ever received too. I am so thankful that Jeyul Chalthanwala and Mihir Sutarwala gifted this book to me so special thanks to you.


Book Blurb
100,000 years ago, at least six human species inhabited the earth. Today there is just one. Us. Homo sapiens. 

How did our species succeed in the battle for dominance? Why did our foraging ancestors come together to create cities and kingdoms? How did we come to believe in gods, nations and human rights; to trust money, books and laws; and to be enslaved by bureaucracy, timetables and consumerism? And what will our world be like in the millennia to come? 
In Sapiens, Dr Yuval Noah Harari spans the whole of human history, from the very first humans to walk the earth to the radical – and sometimes devastating – breakthroughs of the Cognitive, Agricultural and Scientific Revolutions. Drawing on insights from biology, anthropology, paleontology and economics, he explores how the currents of history have shaped our human societies, the animals and plants around us, and even our personalities. Have we become happier as history has unfolded? Can we ever free our behaviour from the heritage of our ancestors? And what, if anything, can we do to influence the course of the centuries to come? 
Bold, wide-ranging and provocative, Sapiens challenges everything we thought we knew about being human: our thoughts, our actions, our power ... and our future.
I am so dumbstruck by this book. I don't read nonfiction that often. Because I found it boring but not this book. I haven't got bored even for a second, with every page I read I get more and more curious about the next page and next chapter.

Sapiens - a brief history of humankind as the name suggests it does explain the events of history but the writing is such that you won't feel that you're reading a history book of school. If only I had this book in my school I would have paid much more attention in history class.

Everything, every event is explained and in a way and in terminology that can be understood by everyone. There are examples given in some places which makes things much easy to understand. At the end also it gives a bit glimpse of what might our future looks like.

I have completely enjoyed this book and it is indeed one of its kind. I think everyone should read this book at least once in their lifetime.

Ratings
  1. Cover : - 4/5
  2. Content : - 5/5
  3. Concept : - 5/5
  4. Overall : - 4.5/5
Book can be found at Amazon & Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive