Monday, June 15, 2020

Book Review - Banker's Game by Ashutosh Mishra

"Banker's Game" is my second read from Ashutosh. Though it is the first fiction from Ashutosh, as the previous one was self-help. As Ashutosh is acquainted with me on Whatsapp, I have seen his posts about this book 3 months previous to its scheduled release. I was very excited to read it. I got it just before lockdown. And during the lockdown, I got myself into BookTube videos which delayed this book's review. But normal life after unlock has brought this book to my hands again.

Banker's Game by Ashutosh Mishra
Banker's Game - Cover Photo

The reason I selected this book was my liking to Ashutosh's previous book. I was expecting indirect self-help content in this book. Another reason was familiarity with the subject and environment. Though I don't have the first-hand experience in financial banking but heard the first-hand experience from many of my classmates, plus the recession of 2008 with Lehman brothers, so I wanted to read what was the situation of bankers in those dire times.

The story revolves around 4 guys whose silhouette is given in the backdrop of the cover. As the blurb suggests Rekha, Amit, Satya, and Nitin are the central characters. All of them are working in a reputed financial bank. The first three are working under Nitin and called by Nitin as schmucks. The plot covers the professional life of these four and partially covers how their work-life affects their personal life. Though they are paying very high, it is like their life is bought by the company and each minute of their lives are owned by their bosses. On top of that things became more troublesome when Lehman brothers scam took the financial market down with it. Read the book to know how our characters fare.

The book talks about the worst work culture practices happening in some Indian establishments. I think people working in financial services might be able to relate to the experience of schmucks. Office politics, sexual exploitations, and back bickering all compiled in one place for the reader.
On the personal front, I was expecting more stories around the tragedy of Lehman brothers but the major portion covers office politics. Maybe I had higher expectations and which were not fulfilled up to the mark.

I will give 3.5 out of 5 to the book.

Book links Goodreads and Amazon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers