Sunday, January 17, 2021

Myths and Legends from Around the World by Sowmya Rajendran

I remember growing up listening to Hindu mythological stories from my father. We did the same with our kids but nowadays he has developed taste for more than Hindu gods and goddesses, even panchtantra. So we shifted to different genres. Recently I was recommended the book "Myths and Legends from Around the World". 

Myths and Legends from Around the World by Sowmya Rajendran

The very first impression of the book cover was that of Maa Bahuchara & her sister deities. I am not sure whether your guys know it or not, but in southern Gujarat, many goddess shrines & temples have similar decoration to the one in cover design.

The book contains a little over 20 short stories, from different cultures and civilizations. Even theme of the stories is also divided into three parts just like of Hindu belief of creation, organization, and destruction. You will find stories based on deities and animals. I read one story per day to my kid for the last month and he enjoyed it.

The language is easy for kids. The story length is also aa per child's interest not too long not too short. If parents read it to a child it will take roughly 10-15 minutes which is adequate for them to get sleepy with a nice story. 

I love it and currently second round is going on with some of the favorites of my child.

The book deserves 4.5 out of 5.

Book links - Amazon & Goodreads


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers