Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A Dialogue with Richa on Her Latest Book "Goan Chase"

We reviewed "Goan Chase" two weeks back. A short book can give you a shot of entertainment in form of suspense adventure. Those who missed the review can check it here - Review link


Hi Richa we would like to welcome to our blog and would like to thank you for giving us chance to interview for your latest book "Goan Chase". Before we proceed, as formality we would like you to tell our readers about your personal and professional background.
After school, I completed my graduation from Delhi University in Sociology Honors, post which, I completed my post-graduation in Advertising and Public Relations from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC). 
I’ve been a freelance writer, contributing editor, advertising copywriter, technical writer, and an award-winning instructional designer. 
School was all about studies and sports and extra-curricular activities and college was all about having fun and not studying! I was mostly shy and slightly reserved, hobnobbing with only a few close friends. And yes, like most people, I too feel that school and college years were the best years of my life!
Can you tell us which author inspire you the most? 
I love reading and many times, I’m reading more than one book. Many authors have inspired me; sometimes, it’s one aspect of their writing style that inspires me than the book itself. Tough to pick just one! However, I have always enjoyed the works of Enid Blyton, Jane Austen, Ayn Rand, Agatha Christie, C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling, Jostein Gaarder, Dr Suess, Rick Riordan, and Stephen King. 
Tell us about your writing habit. When did you start writing?
I wrote my very first story at the age of six and finished a couple of novelettes by the time I was a teenager. Though a long career in writing followed after that, what I wrote during my childhood and teenage remain my most cherished memories.  
When did you decide to become a writer? 
I don’t remember a time when I didn’t want to be a writer. I started writing fiction at a very young age and my love for writing fiction has stayed with me through the years. The decision to become a “published” author came quite late, though! I dreamed about it all the time but it’s only a few years back that I started taking concrete steps towards achieving that lifelong dream.  
What are your ambitions for your writing career? 
Well, like any other author, I too aspire for my books to be read and loved by as many readers as possible! There is no greater or better feeling in the world than to have a reader tell you that he/she enjoyed your book. Hence, my ambition stems from that, and I aspire to write books that entertain as well as inspire readers. Whether I’m writing mystery or fantasy or literary fiction, I would like all my books to have some takeaway for readers, no matter how small. 
Tell us how you manage your time for writing?
As a working mother, I don’t think my day can ever be structured to write! I mostly set goals on what I need to finish in a particular week, and then try to meet those goals come hail or storm. I’m always on the lookout for uninterrupted nuggets of time to write, and that is how I get the writing done. 
Is this your debut work?
Yes, Goan Chase is my debut novel, though my work has appeared in national and international websites and magazines when I worked as a freelance writer. Also, I was one of the winners in Season 1 of the nationwide Write India contest, organized by the Times of India group. 
What genre are your books? 
My books are a combination of the mystery and young adult genres. 
Can you describe your current book in few lines? What’s it about? 
My current book is the second book in the Take Three Mysteries series. Like the prequel, Goan Chase, this book too promises to be a thrilling mystery but with a soul. The three protagonists, Jai, Ayesha, and Nirvaan, return to solve another baffling mystery, while they deal with teenage angst, and their own unique insecurities. Quite a handful! 
Give us an insight into your main characters 
Jai, Ayesha, and Nirvaan are teenagers everybody can relate to. They’re like the rest of us, with their distinct quirks, strengths, and weaknesses. While Jai is quiet and unsure about himself, Ayesha is feisty yet vulnerable. Nirvaan is the strong and mature one, but there is an unfortunate reason behind his maturity (which readers will learn about in the second book). They’re ordinary people facing extraordinary circumstances. Will they succeed? Or will they fall apart? You’ll have to read to find out more!  
Where did you get idea for this book? 
Like the prequel, the story for the sequel too stems from the main characters. I developed the characters before I finalized the mystery in each book of the series. So, it’s not like I planned and plotted the mystery first and force-fitted characters in it; it happened the other way around! Each mystery is inextricably tied to the lives of the main characters and that’s the cornerstone of the Take Three Mysteries series. 
How much research did you do for this book? 
Quite a lot! When writing a mystery, you need to get your facts right. The crime needs to be plausible; ideally, it should be creative and difficult to decipher but something that can be done in the real world. Also, your antagonists need to be believable with very strong reasons for going against the law. Both aspects—technicality of the crime and the nature of the antagonist—need to be backed by research. 
What was the most difficult thing about writing your latest book? 
I wouldn’t call it the hardest but showing character arcs/growth within a mystery is always a challenge. One that I love, though! You want to do justice to the character as well as the mystery, and it is extremely gratifying when you’re able to do it right. 
Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book? 


When was your book released?
October 5, 2016
You can tell us response you got from readers. 
Average rating for my book is between 4 and 5 on both Amazon and Goodreads.
What are you working on at the minute? 
I’m working on the second book in the Take Three Mysteries series. 
What are your thoughts on writing a book series? 
I’m working on a book series myself and enjoying every minute of it! I’m not against standalone books; I don’t think every story needs to be converted into a series. However, sometimes, a character’s journey or a plot cannot be wrapped up in one book. Then, it becomes important to write the required number of books to bring the journey or the plot to its logical and satisfying conclusion.  
What advice would you give to aspiring writers? 
Two things—improve and persist! Improve your writing skills on an everyday basis. Be persistent for the journey you’re about to take is a long, and most likely, arduous one. However, if you improve and if you persist, you’re bound to achieve your writing and publishing goals one day.  
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included? 
Nope; thanks for asking!
Links for your book readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive