Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Meet Sujata Chatterjee Author of Looking Through The Prism Spectrum

We rarely review Poem collections. Last month we reviewed “Looking Through The Prism Spectrum" by Sujata Chatterjee and we really liked it. Today we have Sujata Chatterjee with us to discuss more about her book.



Can you brief our reader about your educational background?
I am a doctor and an anaesthesiologist from the Tata Memorial Hospital. I completed journalism correspondence course, from the Delhi School of Journalism.
What were you like in school/college, apart from studies?
  • I was a sports person in school and college. I played badminton and table tennis and was also trained in judo.
  • I used to write poems, and stories from childhood and my writings found their way to my school/ college magazines and notice boards.
  • I used to organize musical plays and write scripts for the same.
  • I used to write for the magazine, Women’s Era.
What are day jobs you have held?
I was a regular writer for the column, A Patient I Can Never Forget, in the magazine, Women’s Era.
Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors? Which author inspires you most?
Yes, I am an avid reader, and my favourite authors are Enid Blyton (as a teenager), Danielle Steele, Agatha Christie, Dan Brown, Mary Higgins Clark, Sydney Sheldon. My favourite Indian authors are Ravinder Singh, Durjoy Dutta, and Nikita Singh.

I am influenced by authors such as Enid Blyton, Danielle Steele, and Durjoy Dutta.
When did you start writing?
I started writing when I was in class 4. I first started writing poems. My first poem was The Arithmetic Fever. I was terrified of sums hence my first poem was about maths.
When did you decide to become a writer?
It was in class 4. One of my friend’s jokes were published in a newspaper. I was very influenced by him although he was my senior. I wanted to write so that my work was also recognised and published. So I started writing for my school magazines and notice boards.
What are your ambitions?
  • I want my books to be bestsellers and be showcased and distributed in Prominent bookstores, like Oxford, Starmark, Crossword, and others.
  • I want people to ask for my autograph.
  • I want the media to reach out to the public regarding my book.
  • I want my readers to like my work so much that they would request to click a photograph with me.
  • I want the media to ask for interviews about my book.
Do you have a special time to write, or how is your day structured to accommodate your writing?
The mornings are very busy as I have to attend to my patients at the hospital. I come home for lunch after which relax a bit. Usually, afternoons are quiet, and I devote my time to write poetry, articles, or stories. Evenings are usually spent on the follow up of my patients, reading books, or poring through journals. I take my dinner early. After dinner is family time when we exchange our news for the day.
Prior to this book, what have you written?
Prior to this book, I have written a book of short stories, Flights of Fantasy. It was published by London Miscellany in June 2013. It is a collection of short stories of different genres. There are fables, humour, romance, medicine, detective stories, and family stories in this collection.
What genres are your books?
My book, Looking Through The Prism, is in the motivational and philosophical genre. The book of poetry, Looking Through The Prism, as the name suggests, is a spectrum of seventeen poems woven with words which would inspire my readers towards positivity.

Sometimes when you need to settle down in the quiet solitude of the twilight with a coffee in hand, these poems will be suitable for reading. The poetry will take you on a journey through the wonders of nature. A student will find peace just when he needs someone to understand his woes. A solitary cottage will steer your mind towards the spellbinding glamour. If you really love your friend, the poem, Loving You, will touch your heart with the description of your beloved. A bird is a prisoner in the cage and a human being is yearning for his freedom just like a bird who can fly. The poem, Destiny, speaks about the punishment God has for those who wage wars and practice violence.

My book, Flights of Fantasy, is a collection of short stories of different genre. As mentioned above, it has fables, detective stories, romance, family stories, and articles on medicine, humour, and fantasy.

About the current book

Can you describe your current book in a few lines? What is it about?
My current book, Looking Through The Prism: Spectrum, is a collection of motivational poetry. There is a subtle comparison of human life with nature and God's creations. There are descriptions of golden fields, the rising and setting sun whose rays fall on the beaches, calming the mind. There is a lake which refreshes a traveller and waits in anticipation of more travellers to come. A child may be overwhelmed by a tiny fairy and an elf who would grant all his wishes with the mere flick of a wand. A student would breathe a sigh of relief at the musings of the author about the woes of the student.

There is a poem which warns people who practice violence to await the day of judgement by God. Freedom from the chains which bind us is the ultimate wish of a man who compares his life to a bird in a cage. The lilting music of nature and the vivid colours are depicted in a style which is unique to the author. The romantic description of the beloved in the poem, Loving You, brings a sense of exhilaration to the readers.
Give us an insight of your main characters?
The main characters are trees, lakes, the sun, the moon, the stars, flowers, fruits, the breeze, and the rain. The waxing and waning of the seasons are the joys and sorrows of the human race. The eternal wait of the lake for a traveller is like a lover waiting for a beloved one. The different colours of nature are like the shades of the different aspects of human life. The tranquillity of the ocean with the alternate tides and ebbs are the emotions of the human beings. A woebegone student is exhausted with the pressures of the syllabus that he has to study and seeks peace in this cruel world. A child is gifted by a fairy and an elf with the flick of a wand and his wishes come true. Destiny warns people who are waging wars against each other and partaking in violence and bloodshed.
Where did you get the idea for this book?
The idea for this book came to me after I had written a number of poems in my diary 2014. I underwent a major surgery after which I fought tooth and nail with life and death to survive. That is when I thought I should share my feelings of life, which my poems depict, with the world. So I conceived this idea of publishing a poetry book.
How much research did you do for this book?
This book of motivational poems was a spontaneous display of emotions for me. So I did not do much research for it. My main lookout was to reach out to the readers with the feeling of a personal touch.
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
The hardest thing about writing this book was the conversion of the handwritten pages to a document in the computer and choosing high definition images suitable for each poem.
Can you share your book's trailer with our readers?

What kind of response have you been receiving for the book?
Initially the response was overwhelming. Most of my contacts really did purchase my book from various sites like  www.amazon.in, www.flipkart.com, and www.notionpress.com. Some even asked for copies with my autograph. During the launch of the book, Looking Through The Prism”, at the Kolkata book fair, the book sold like hot cakes and were sold out. The book was also showcased in Delhi, Chennai, Allahabad, and Agra book fairs, where it was sold in large numbers.
What are you working on at the minute?
I am planning on writing another book of poems and also working on a novel.
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
A book series is a great idea. It keeps the reader glued to the question of what happens to the protagonist in the next book. This query builds a great reader base, and the book becomes popular. Maybe,in a few years from now, I shall definitely think of writing a book series.
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
I would advise all aspiring writers to keep reading more and more books and to make writing a habit, not a hobby. Overcome your writer’s block and create a new future.
Is there anything you like to add?
Yes, I would love my readers to get back tome at my mail sujmamchat@gmail.comwith reviews. You can also post your reviews atwww.amazon.in and www.notionpress.com.
Links for our book readers Book can be found at Amazon and Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive