Friday, June 29, 2018

Book Review - Smart Guide for Awesome Memory by Shireen Stephen

When I want to learn something, I categorize books into three segments: Textbooks, Casual and Tutorial books. The first category is indeed the most detailed one, at the same time they end up being a boring one, which brings drowsiness. The second category as I said already is so light on a topic that you may miss the crux of the topic. The one I like the most is tutorial books because they are filled with theories, examples, and application. "Smart Guide for Awesome Memory" by Shireen Stephen is one such book, to improve your memory power.


Book Blurb
Would you like to have facts and figures at your fingertips? Would you like to be able to remember everything that you have studied while writing your exams? Would you like to learn a second language easily? Make these goals a reality with the help of this simple guide. With fun memory techniques to more complex ones, Smart Guide for Awesome Memory will help you improve and boost your memory when it comes to academics as well as everyday life.
After a long time, I have taken a book seriously. Last time I read something so engrossing was "Word Power Made Easy" when I had invested almost 2 months. This time it took me almost 5 weeks to finish this book. The main reason was exercises given for each topic. The author has compiled various memorization techniques available, some of them are as old as ancient Greek time or Vedic time. Techniques were nicely arranged in around 8-9 segments. Each chapter covers one segment. The good part is each method follows at least one or two applications or usages with appropriate example. These examples are again in form of exercise. So first you learn the topic and then apply it yourself. TheThe author has given general tips to improve your memory, though 40 of them were known to most of us, 10 are less known. I personally found it good to follow. Last 20% book portion covers exercise only to recollect those topics once again.

You can even call this book as a cheat sheet to an awesome memory. A book must be translated into different language and can be gifted to kids for better memory power.  I wish I had such book during my school time. I have spent endless hours mugging up topics, though I have used some of these techniques like linking and pegging (I was not aware of their name at that time), knowing improvement or proper use of these techniques would have changed scenario for me.

Overall it is must to have book if you would like to increase your overall mental capabilities and confidence. Sure shot gift material for people above 7 years.

Talking about ratings
  1. Cover - 4/5
  2. Content - 4.5/5
  3. Concepts - 4.5/5
  4. Overall - 4.25/5
Book can be found at Amazon & Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive