Monday, January 7, 2019

In Discussion with Julie Coons - Author of This Does Not Leave This House

We have read & reviewed "This Does Not Leave This House" by Julie Coons a few months back. It was an emotional memoir of the author which has touched us deeply. We would like to welcome Julie Coons on our platform to know more about her latest book.


What were you like at school/college apart from studies?
I was very social in school.  My friends were what I called my “love supply” since I didn’t have a very loving mother.  My social life replaced the love I was missing.  I also studied hard because I wanted to be a doctor someday.
What are some day jobs you have held?
I started babysitting at the age of 11.  I also worked in a cannery during green bean season.  I worked in a hair salon on weekends during the school season.  Later, when I realized I wasn’t going to be a doctor I worked as an admitting clerk in the emergency room for five years.  When I realized I was bringing all the sadness of what I saw home with me I quit and became a Mortgage Loan Officer.
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors? Which author inspire you the most?
It’s funny, I used to read a lot as a child.  I used to escape into my books.  My favorite author was Danielle Steele.  Today, I don’t have time to read as much.  I enjoy reading horror, mystery and true crime from authors like Stephen King and Ann Rule.  
When did you start writing?
I started writing when I was asked to do an article for our local business journal.  My husband and I own a commercial janitorial business.  It has been in our family for many years in the same town, so the article was about our family and how the city has changed over the years.  I am the fifth generation to live in our small little town.
When did you decide to become a writer?
It wasn’t my idea. I was told by a psychic medium I should write about my life. I didn’t want to write my story because I didn’t want to relive my painful past. After she told me it would really help others, that’s when I decided I needed to write it.
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I didn’t realize it at first but I enjoy writing.  I am almost finished with my second book.  I have about three more books planned after the second one launches.  
Do you have a special time to write, or how is your day structured to accommodate your writing?
I am really bad at budgeting time to write.  I really need to get better at disciplining myself.  I just write when the mood strikes me.  Some days I write all day long.  Some days I don’t write at all.  I think I need to be more balanced.  Maybe that should be my New Year’s resolution.  My New Year’s resolution has always been to never make resolutions.  
What genre are your books?
Non-fiction for my first book and fiction based on a true story for my second book.  My third book will be a horror story based on my own experiences.

 Can you describe your current book in few lines? What’s it about?
My book is about my life.  The title is a quote from my father and the first two lines in the book are quotes from my mother.  It’s about the abuse I experienced from my narcissistic and mentally ill mother.  I’m also hoping to inspire others to break the cycle of abuse in their own families.
Where did you get idea for this book?
I had a near-death, out-of-body experience when I was 15 years old.  After that happened, about a year later, I was able to see into the spirit world.  Because of my abilities, scary things sometimes happened to me inside my home.  I needed help so I went to see a local medium.  After about 5 minutes she told me she had a message for me from spirit.  She told me the message was that I needed to write a book to tell my story.  
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Reliving the past.
Book Trailer

Release date. 
My first book was released January, 2018.  My second book will hopefully be released in February, 2019
How good the book is faring on Amazon?
My current book’s rating averages 4.0 on Amazon.
What are you working on at the minute?
My next book is also based on my personal story.  It will be shining a light on the epidemic of human trafficking.
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
I love the idea of a writing a book series.  
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Hire an editor.  
Links for your book readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive