Tuesday, May 23, 2017

These Circuses That Sweep Through the Landscape

During our author interaction week, we interviewed author Tejaswini Apte-Rahm. Her book "These circuses that sweep through the landscape" was launched a few months back.  It is a cocktail of different shades of life.


Book Blurb
A fanatical collector of beetles finds out too late where his passion has led him. A woman out on a shopping spree in a glitzy mall finds she can’t go home again. A servant girl experiences a cruel loss of innocence when she eats something that wasn’t meant for her. In the sweltering heat of Bombay, a schoolgirl finds the ground slipping beneath her feet except when she’s watching Star Trek. Four friends meet for drinks one evening, only to find that their friendship is not what it seems. And, in the extraordinary title story, a student who has worshipped his teacher for decades comes to a terrible realization about him. Meanwhile, his old mentor is planning a cunning legacy of his own. 
The book consists 9 main stories titled with different line and 9 sub-stories titled under "These circuses that sweep through the landscape". I would be frank and blunt, I skipped 2 main stories and 4 sub-story because I lost grip. I tried my best to finish them but I failed. So I decided to write the review and give justice to other stories. Following are things that I liked about book:
  • Comical part of "The Mall"
  • Hidden romance between to ex from "Mili"
  • Dark sides of characters from "Drinks at Seven"
  • Mr. Ghosh and his hypothesis
  • Mr. Poonawala's passion towards his profession
You can call me a mediocre reader but I was not able to gauge ending of few stories. Book lost it tempo at many places which have made me skip few pages. 

But I think as a debut work, Tejaswini has done a splendid job. The main reason is character building. Even though it's collection of short stories, each story has given proper importance to the main character of that story, which is rare in short-stories.

Talking about ratings:
  1. Cover: 4 / 5 
  2. Characters: 4 / 5 
  3. Stories: 3 / 5
  4. Overall: 3.25 / 5
Book can be found at Amazon & Flipkart
Reviews from other readers can be found at Goodreads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive