Saturday, August 4, 2018

A Book Review - Survival Sandstorm: The Journey that Changed the Course of World War II

"Survival Sandstorm" - If Mehul, a 12-year boy, can write this book then adult authors should seriously think about upgrading their skills. Frankly speaking, odd-looking cover, minimalistic blurb and 12-year-old author, I actually made bet on my gut feeling while selecting the book. And I was lucky to get this amazing story in my collection.


Book Blurb
Aboard the plane that battles the devilish storm over the great Sahara are three hostages from Nazi Germany, three hostages who can change the course of World War II if they reach their destination.
Can Ivsker Vodkech, the best pilot in the Soviet Union, battle against all odds to deliver the three hostages into allied hands? Can he uncover the horrific organisation operating in Africa? Can he survive?
The story starts with 3 Soviet soldiers and 3 Nazi hostages. Ivsker soviet soldier was a lucky pilot who had survived 2 deadliest accidents earlier. He was selected for a top secret mission of delivering hostages to allied forces. Being a pilot he was responsible for their air travel. He ignored sandstorm warning and brought everyone's life at risk. The sandstorm had destroyed their engine and they crashed in a desolated dessert of Sahara. They survived the crash but a deadly group of slavers had captured them. Read more to know what happened next.

It took me 3 chapters to understand writing style. Actually, the author has written every chapter in the first person narration but each chapter has a different character from the first person. I have encountered this style first time. And I found that experiment has worked. It was able to engage my mind on the topic. Talking about the narration of dessert and people's situation the author has done good research on it. You will find it as realistic as possible. I have read many works where such things were taken as merely granted.

Some good point of the books
  • Narration style - a Unique point about the book. I have already discussed it.
  • Language - Simple language usage made it easy to follow page after page.
  • Interest Building - Some author uses plain narration where events are simply sequential. This mostly makes story predictable. Instead, Mehul has aptly taken the support of 2-3 plots and character narration.
  • Action & Suspense Thriller - I liked quotient of action and suspense.
Some points of improvements
  • I am not sure about the timeline but I feel some events and technologies are misplaced. But can be ignored. Because It was not breaking the flow of interest.
  • Less content - I felt like it was ended abruptly. After reading the book, I wanted more. Now I need to wait for the next part. Actually, 150 pages are too short. :(
  • Cover - I am not sure, But the cover has given me mixed feelings. It could be better.
Overall a wonderful read. Ratings
  1. Cover - 3/5
  2. Concept - 4.5/5
  3. Content - 3/5
  4. Characters - 4/5
  5. Overall - 4/5
Book can be found at Amazon and Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive