Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Book Review - Ramayana Versus Mahabharata: My Playful Comparison

Last month when Vishnu sent me monthly books that we are supposed to review, I saw "Ramayana vs Mahabharata" by Devdutt Pattanaik. I have seen many good posts by Devdutt on Twitter & Instagram, I have also seen many reviewers praising work of Devdutt, so I wanted to check his book myself. And that's book reached me. As I have mentioned, "Ramayana vs Mahabharata" is my first book from the author. Though mythology is not my genre, after reading this book I am interested in reading more of the author's work.

As Indian, we have all grown up hearing stories about Ramayana and Mahabharata but the idea of comparing both epics and find the similarities and dissimilarity is a really unique attempt and also unique read for me. Points made in this book are really logical. This book has mentions of regional tellings of both epics as well. This book also sheds light on similarly between Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology.


What I like about this book:
  • I get to know about the similarity of both epics with other mythologies
  • Relative illustration at the start of every chapter
  • Mention of how both epics shed light on feminism
  • Book shows retelling of both epics in other culture
  • Conclusion part
  • To the point writing
  • Cover of the book
So all and all this book comparing two epics of Hindu mythology is also an epic book in my views. If you have heard stories about Ramayana and Mahabharata than this book is gonna open a whole new perspective on both epics for you. If you are open minded and want to explore more then this book will blow your mind away. I recommend this book to everyone (especially who grew up hearing stories of these epics) and looking forward to reading more from Devdutt Pattanaik.

Ratings
  1. Cover : - 5/5
  2. Content : - 4.5/5
  3. Concept : - 5/5
  4. Overall : - 4.5/5
Book can be found at Amazon & Flipkart
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive