Thursday, February 21, 2019

Meet Jonas Salzgeber - the author of The Little Book of Stoicism

Those who have read the review of "The Little Book of Stoicism", we are back with more information about the book and the author of the book.


Before we proceed to the actual interview let us give you a brief of the author:
Jonas Salzgeber is the author of The Little Book of Stoicism and writes for a small army of remarkable people at njlifehacks.com. On his quest to be the best he can be he stumbled upon Stoicism – and got hooked. At the core of this applicable philosophy lies the goal of leading a happy life even (especially) in the face of adversity.

His practical rather than academic writing style helps people with the most important step: to put the wisdom from book page to action. Jonas shares Stoic strategies so people gain back their confidence and feel ready to deal effectively with whatever life throws at them.
Can you brief us about your educational background?
I studied Sport Science and English Language and Literatures at the University of Bern, Switzerland.
What are some day jobs you have held?
As long as I can remember I’ve been working different jobs. As a child, I mowed the lawn for the neighbors and did a paper route once a week.I worked in an institution for mentally handicapped people and in a gas station shop during high school. At university I organized student parties, did different kinds of promotion jobs, and during semester break I worked as a building worker. I worked in a home for people with dementia and with mentally handicapped children. Also, I’ve been working as a fitness instructor for several years now.
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors? Which author inspires you the most?
Yes. I believe in learning every day. Books are my favorite medium.My favorite authors are Eckhart Tolle, Ryan Holiday, Dave Asprey, and Steven Pressfield. I think Dave Asprey inspires me the most. He might not be the best writer, but he’s radiating energy and he’s my biohacker idol.
When did you start writing?
I started writing the moment I decided to start the njlifehacks blog with my brother Nils in 2015.
When did you decide to become a writer?
I’ve been writing about Stoicism for a while on the blog, the readers found it interesting, and I thought there’s a book lacking in the modern literature. I wanted to write this book.
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
At the moment, I want to establish myself as an expert in Stoic philosophy. I want The Little Book of Stoicism to become a go-to book for people interested in this wonderful philosophy.
Do you have a special time to write, or how is your day structured to accommodate your writing?
Early in the morning works best for me. I get up, do my morning routine with some yoga movements and a short quiet meditation. Then I start writing.
What genre is you book?
It’s a non-fiction book.


Can you describe your current book in few lines? What’s it about?
It’s about Stoicism. Whatever you’re going through, there’s advice from the Stoics. Despite the philosophy’s age, its wisdom often feels surprisingly modern and fresh, and its value in the quest for a happy and meaningful life is undeniable.This compelling, highly actionable guide shows you how to deal more effectively with whatever life throws at you and live up to your best self. A mix of timeless wisdom and empowering advice, The Little Book of Stoicism will point the way to anyone seeking a calm and wise life in a chaotic world.
Where did you get ideas for this book?
From different books and articles. Mainly: A Guide to the Good Life by Will Irvine, Stoicism and the Art of Happiness by Donald Robertson, The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday.
How much research did you do for this book?
A lot. I read and reread countless books and articles on the topic. Overall I did six months of research.
What was the hardest thing about writing The Little Book of Stoicism?
The fight with my inner resistance monster. Every writer knows this feeling: You want to sit down to write, but something is holding you back. It’s telling you you’re not good enough, your structure sucks, and you won’t sell any books anyway. I’m glad I persevered and fought this monster. I had to go through this.
Official release date: 
January 28, 2019
Books sold and feedback: 
At the moment of writing, we’ve sold 5710 copies. The feedback we’re receiving is phenomenal. One of my favorite reviews comes from David:

“It is a truly wonderful, direct and digestible explanation of the ancient philosophy. It is refreshing and rare to read philosophy without developing a bald spot from excessive head scratching. Part 2, addressing the application of the philosophy in the quotidian world, provides invaluable tools to transform the abstract in reality.Reading this was not only a pleasure from which I benefited greatly, but also, thanks to your concise distillation of the stoic concepts, I feel more confident in sharing some nuggets of wisdom.”
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
The inner resistance that’s holding you back is something all creators experience. Everybody needs to go through this fight between their ears. There’s no way around. “What is to give light, must endure burning.” This quote by Viktor Frankl has helped me in countless moments of darkness. It’s supposed to be hard.
Links for your book readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive