Monday, May 31, 2021

Rukmini: Krishna's Wife by Saiswaroopa Iyer

I have read all books of Sai Swaroopa except Unsung Valour. Her books are smooth in narration but filled with women-centric heroism. I know I should have read Rukmini - Krishna's Wife earlier but unexpected health issues in the family delayed it. Well, no regrets, I finished the book during my summer vacation and I got really good company for two days. When I took the first dive into the book, I read around 90 pages in one and a half hours. It took me two more sittings to finish this book. 

Rukmini: Krishna's Wife by Saiswaroopa Iyer

The content is divided into 4 parts. Those who have read and researched deeply about Mahabharata might be aware of the story around Rukmini, the first and one of the eight principal wives of Krishna. So for them, this book is like "Rise and Fall" of mighty Yadava & Dwarka along with Mahabharata from Rukmini's point of view. 

We all pray Krishna for his role for mankind and his efforts to establish Dharma, especially his support for Pandavas. But rarely do we think that if Krishna was always available to these parties, what about his kingdom and family. Have we ever thought about what happened to Dwarika when Krishna was in the East with Arjuna for their conquest? Do we know how many times other kingdoms have attacked Dwarika when brothers were away? It was the role of Rukmini, she went through many of these struggles on Krishna's behalf. Read the book to know more.

My observations

  1. The books has projected couple as more historical characters than mythological
  2. Easy language usage and straight narration makes the book a fluid read
  3. Touching the emotional and responsible side of Rukmini
  4. Less imagination more facts.
  5. Strict adherence to the storyline

A lovable short read one which can be finished in few sittings.

Links - Goodreads & Amazon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive