Thursday, October 4, 2018

Meet Devika Das - Author of The Mind Game

Today we have author Devika Das with us to discuss her book "The Mind Game".


Devika holds MBA (Marketing & Finance) from Army Institute of Management, Kolkata. She worked as HR Manager, Logistics coordinator and she is currently working as a Content Strategist for an IT company at Hyderabad.

So Devika tell us, what were you like at school/college apart from studies? 
I participated in debates/elocution/drama and recitation competitions. I also played cricket.
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors? Which author inspires you the most? 
Reading is my favorite pastime apart from Theatre. There is a long list of authors that I like to read – Ruskin Bond, RK Narayan, Rabindranath Tagore, Jhumpa Lahiri etc. but my inspiration for writing Non-Fiction is Paulo Coelho and his book The Alchemist. 
When did you start writing? 
My first piece of writing was a poem I had written when I was 13. It is titled ‘For Those at Kargil; got published in Hindustan Times and also features in my poetry book ‘Reminiscence’. 
When did you decide to become a writer? 
I didn’t decide to become an author. I used to write for pleasure. My friends used to read my blogs and poems. On the insistence of my friends, I self-published ‘7 Vows of Marriage’. It is available on Kindle.
What are your ambitions for your writing career? 
I want to write on topics that I feel for passionately. I haven’t yet thought of becoming a full-time author. Still, there is time. 
Do you have a special time to write, or how is your day structured to accommodate your writing? 
I usually write in the morning say 4:30am. I have a regular job, which I like to do. But I definitely accommodate writing as well as theatre in my schedule. I plan my day accordingly.
What have you written so far?
The Mind Game is my 5th publication. My previous works
  • 7 Vows of Marriage
  • Reminiscence
  • Short story in Undo 
  • Short Story in String in the Garland
  • The Mind Game
  • Edited ‘Absolute Love Letter’ and ‘Diamonds in the Rough’
What genre are your books? 
Non-Fiction 

Can you describe your current book in a few lines? What’s it about?
The Mind Game is a self-improvement guide to control your emotions and how to respond to situations amicably. It talks about the importance of emotional intelligence and highlights the concept of living in the present. 

The central theme of the book is emotional intelligence. A human being goes through a wide range of emotions daily sometimes they are complex to understand and we may react negatively. I am not saying everything should be happy and joyful every time. But by controlling the negative thoughts, we can direct our life towards an optimistic path of life. 
Where did you get the idea for this book?
I read about the rise of suicides due to stress and depression amongst youth in India. During my research, I found out the factors that push a person to that extent that you lose hope and want to end your life. This disturbed my mind and I thought of sharing my experiences of how I battled stress when I was going through a tough phase of my life. 
How much research did you do for this book?
I read journals, spoke to students, counselorcounselor, I started meeting strangers and took their views on stress. It was a 1-year1-year research of networking with people from all walks of life. 
What was the most difficult thing about writing your latest book?
Controlling my own emotions and not being overwhelmed by the content
Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book?

Release date. 
25 July 2018
Can you tell us about critics and overall rating your book have received?
Until date, the book has received 13 reviews on Amazon https://www.amazon.in/Mind-Game-Devika-Das/product-reviews/B07FBFXZ82 Overall it enjoys a rating of 4.1 stars out of 5
What are you working on at the minute?
A Hindi Fiction novel and a Travel Book
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
I have thought of releasing a few more books in the series of The Mind Game
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Write passionately and from your heart. Don’t worry much about the economics as you are writing to express your views. Reviews and feedback are more important than royalties 😊
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Read a lot to become a better writer.
Links for your book readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive